Skip to content

DIRTY DIRTY DIRT!

April 29, 2012

Turns out 6 yards of dirt…is A LOT of dirt.  I had a relatively small rainfree window one evening this last week to move the dirt I had delievered from my driveway to the awaiting garden beds.  Turns out it takes me about an hour to move a yard of dirt.  The hardest part is getting the dirt into the beds (seems obvious).  It took me a while to devise a small ramp I could roll the wheelbarrel up and dump it so I wouldn’t need to shovel the dirt in and out of the wheelbarrel.  It also took a while to learn how to dump the dirt without damaging the bed, my wheelbarrel has a very large screw on the bottom of the front (unfortunate) which gouged (very unfortuate) the 1st bed I filled.  Live and learn…once that issue was resolved, and I had the ramp system in place, it was load dump time for the next 4 hours.

With the dirt in place I was able to plant a few of starts I have ready from seed.  In the long 8′ x 2′ bed along the back fence I planted 5 Sungold tomoto plants, 6 basil plants, 3 red onion and 3 leeks.  In the 8′ x 4′ bed I planted 3 different types of strawberries, 2 Junebearing and 1 Everbearging.  I threw in some borage and on the very end put in a small growing rasperry bush.  Finally, in one of the 6′ x 4′ beds I planted 3 Black Tula tomoto plants, 6 romain, 6 red oak, 6 red leaf, 3 space saver cucumber plants with some Alaska Oragne Nasturtium strewn about (trying out companion planting this year).

I feel like I’m off to good start and still On Plan (actually I’m about a week ahead)!  Portland’s theoretical last frost day was April 26th…Let’s hope that holds true this year!  Next up…more raised bed building (I now have orders coming in from family), dirt moving…and…deck demo…All of this “building” has given me the itch to do some demo!

7 Comments leave one →
  1. April 29, 2012 8:25 am

i love the stacked planters! what a fantastic idea! thank you!

• April 29, 2012 3:04 pm

You bet…I might try it with cucumbers too…give them something to cascade down. Happy gardening!

2. April 29, 2012 9:26 am

I recently “enjoyed” doing some dirty work myself in filling my own raised garden bed. Yours look great!

3. April 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks for the complement – I think they are turning out pretty good. What do you have growing in yours?

• April 29, 2012 3:15 pm

You’re welcome! So far I have planted broccoli, carrots, lettuce, zucchini & spinach in mine, but still have much more planned as the planting/growing season progresses here. :) I’ve been gardening for 20+ years, but this is my first attempt at growing anything in a container/raised gardening bed, so it all feels brand new. I really like how you stacked that one bed with the smaller planters too. Adds interest and looks cool! Hope everything grows happily for you! :)

• April 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the follow too by the way! Do you think if I follow you too that we’ll both get lost? ;)

Please Share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 139 other followers